Tuesday 14 March 2017

My Sea Week Writing

 For sea week we wrote about why the ocean is important. Here is my writing work. Please leave a kind, positive and thoughtful comment.

Oceans that Surround Aotearoa

My Family and I love the Moana.
Have you ever been for a swim in the ocean? Well I have. Some oceans in Aotearoa are mātoetoe and mōrearea. But there are some that are beautiful and calm. I love the Ocean because it holds lots of sea creatures and you can also go swimming in the moana. Second, the Ocean is important to me because you can see the sun rise at the end of the Moana.  That is why I love the Ocean.


The Moana is also special to people all around the world. Some people get their jobs from the Moana! One job from the moana is a kaihao. Did you know that some people live in the ocean in little house boats, they say that they feel land sick when they go on the whenua!
We wouldn’t be able to eat Ika for dinner if there wasn’t a sea. Some people mine tote from the sea. If there wasn’t a sea about 30% of people wouldn’t have a job. People would have to create new jobs for the people who would have had a job in the sea. Most people in the world love the Moana.

There are some problems with the Moana.
One of the problems is that aihe and other animals, like turtles, are getting stuck in nets that are supposed to catch Ika. People are also polluting the ocean with plastic. Did you know that in some places in the Moana there are islands of rubbish so thick that you can walk on them The islands go on for a long long way.
Some of the Animals in the Moana are sea snakes which live in coral reefs, Turtles, they are not mammals and live in coral reefs and Aihe,  they have smooth skin and a unique call. I hoI think that there are ways to fix the moana. I think that people should not use fishing nets and just use fishing rods. The government should ban plastic bags and get more people to make fabric bags instead.
People have made nets that catch the fish they want, but let the sea otters go. People have also made fishing nets that let smaller fish escape that net and it only catches the bigger fish.
I love the Moana and it’s animals.pe we can make the Moana sustainable.

I think that there are ways to fix the moana. I think that people should not use fishing nets and just use fishing rods. The government should ban plastic bags and get more people to make fabric bags instead.
People have made nets that catch the fish they want, but let the sea otters go. People have also made fishing nets that let smaller fish escape that net and it only catches the bigger fish.
I love the Moana and it’s animals.

My family and me love the Moana. The Moana is important to me because we can go to the beach and swim and roast marshmallows. I also like how the Moana helps the Ra to look like it’s slowly diving into the Ocean. I hope people make fishing nets that just catch the fish they want.
That is why the moana is special to me.

By Dakota


Glossary: Mātoetoe- rough. Mōrearea- dangerous.  Moana- ocean.  Ika-fish. Whenua-land. Kaihao- Fisherman .Tote-salt. Aihe-dolfin.  Ra-sun.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Dakota-I loved reading this especially about why the ocean is special to you. I can't imagine living away from the ocean now! Because I grew up at Gentle Annie I always had the ocean right there. When I lived overseas I missed being next to the ocean so much and when we came back to New Zealand to live that was one of the things I wanted when we chose a place to live-I wanted to be back close to the ocean. I wonder if you'll feel the same when you're older. It's hard to imagine how some people live thousands of kilometers from the sea and some people never get to see it their whole life! We are pretty lucky. I'm glad you're thinking about the problems that the world's oceans face though as we need to help make our oceans cleaner and more sustainable once again. Another big problem you didn't mention for sea animals is global warming. The oceans are getting warmer and this is effecting what can survive which effects the whole food chain down there. I really liked all the maori words you used. I liked that you included a glossary though you wrote it so well in your report that even the words I didn't know I could guess from the context. Great job. Your fourth paragraph seems quite repetitive of your third paragraph. Maybe you were trying to summarise it? Anyway, a great read. Thanks, Dakota. (from mum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dakota,

    I enjoyed reading the piece on your blog about the ocean. Your writing was thoughtful and considered. I also liked it's content - it was enjoyable to read. I wasnt that fussed about the blue writing on black, as it made it a little difficult to read. But on the whole though a very informative and wel--written blog page.
    - Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mum, thanks so much for your long comment. The fourth paragraph is not supposed to be the same as the third but the last paragraph is sumarising it all up. Next time hopefully I will remember to add about global warning because as you said that is a very big problem in the world. From, Dakota:) And then again thank you for the long comment!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dad thanks for your comment! Next time I will do a different colour to the blue and black. Would plain dark blue by it self be better.? From Dakota

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.